Monday 30 November 2009

Day 19 - Kaua'i, USA


My flight was at 9am this morning, from the Island of Oahu to the nearby Kaua'i.

Kaua'i is known as the "Garden Island" and as the 'plane landed, it was clear why. As you swoop towards the airport you get a great view of Wai'ale'ale, the mountain that is the wettest place on Earth. (Even wetter than Manchester).

By lunchtime I had arrived at the home of David and Barbara, who were my contacts on the Island - they were the most interesting people, the most knowledgable guides and the most congenial hosts that I could possibly hope for. They took me up to the top of Kaua'i's canyon region to take some incredible shots, told me the history of Koolau the Leper who ran away to a valley with his family and was shot-at with cannons by the authorities, and told me dozens of amazing QI facts about the Island - for instance, did you know Kaua'i mint doesn't taste of mint because it' never had to defend itself from bugs with its taste? for the same reason, Kaua'i raspberries do not have thorns. Fascinating.

As we drove back down the mountain, we all spotted a rainbow in the "Pacific Grand Canyon" (above). It was a wonderful sight to which the photo does no justice. David then took me to a great beach for a pacific sunset shot, and Barbara kindly made me some delicious mahi-mahi fish, and it was one of the best days of the trip so far.

Jx

2 comments:

  1. Barbara emailed me to tell me how much they'd enjoyed your company, James. I'm glad it was such a fruitful day. David and Barbara are lovely people aren't they? John might remember Barbara as Gardenista on GU Talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they were wonderful. I'm glad they enjoyed the day. ^_

    ReplyDelete